Poulter leads EPGA event in Turkey

Victorious Ryder Cup winning rookie Victor Dubuisson had to undergo on-course medical treatment for an excessive nose bleed before play was abandoned on day two of the European golf tour’s Turkish Airlines Open.


Play was halted a 12.04pm local time with the threat of thunderstorms in the region of the Montgomerie Maxx Royal course at Belek.

England’s Ian Poulter had picked up five shots in 14 holes to move three shots clear on the field on 13-under-par in the third of the European Tour’s Final Four Series.

South African Brendon De Jonge was in second place on 10-under-par after 13 holes while Australia’s Wade Ormsby played 16 holes to be nine under in a tie for third with American Brooks Koepka.

First round leader Miguel Angel Jimenez dropped two shots to fall back into a share of fifth place on eight under.

Defending champion Dubuisson had fought back from a horror opening score of 77 to manage six birdies but also half as many bogeys to move to two-over-par after 13 holes.

However, the Frenchman was clearly in some discomfort with blood streaming from his right nostril and onto his shirt.

Dubuisson, who is understood to suffer from nosebleeds, was observed with a tissue stuck in his nostril before being attended to by an on-course doctor.

“It’s not good and I didn’t feel well at all,” said Dubuisson as he fled to the safety of the clubhouse when a siren sounded to halt play.

However, there was comfort for Dubuisson when he played a superb 60-yard bunker shot from short of the green to a few feet for birdie at the 10th hole.

In contrast, Poulter is delighted with his continuing efforts having capped his morning round in holing a 40-foot putt for birdie at the 11th hole that put him into the lead in the 5.6m euros ($A8.40m) event.

Poulter even had time to feed a couple of ducks that had made their way onto the back of the second green.

“I looked at the forecast and the storm was due to hit about one o’clock, and it’s come a little early,” he said.

“But in the time we were out there before the stoppage I played nicely and continued to hole some good putts.

“With the wind starting to blow really hard it was getting on near impossible out there, so it was the right decision to halt play.”